Reality as a Mom

The ramblings of a SAHM of three, soon to be four!

Refreshing my cloth diapers

One thing I decided needed to be done before #4 is born was to replace the aplix and elastic in some of my cloth diapers. Now, I know how to sew and I do own a sewing machine, I'm just not that great at sewing. I can do the basics so I thought, "No problem. I can do this." I ripped the seams, got all the pieces out from the bumGenius refresher kit (you can buy them online where you buy cloth diapers), and I went to work. I first sewed on the new hook and loop closure tabs, done. Next I sewed on new laundry tabs, done. Finally, I checked to make sure they worked and...what the heck!? No way! One laundry tab didn't work! How could this be? It was a simple laundry tab. I looked closer and it looked like one tab was different from the other. How could the retailer send me a wrong piece? I went to the computer to send them an email right away, which wasn't on, so instead I went to my husband to vent. I began to tell him the story and before I finished or even showed him the diaper he said, "What, did you sew one on backwards?" Oops. Good thing the computer wasn't on.

Well, I did end up finishing the diaper and even replaced the elastic figuring that "Baby Brother" - that's what we call #4 since we can't decide on a name - would have smaller thighs than his older sister. It wasn't all that hard and it didn't turn out so bad.


The top diaper has the elastic replaced and the bottom diaper still needs to be done. Look at the difference in the leg opening.


Check out my new laundry and closure tabs on the green diaper. See how the white diaper has a curling closure tab and gross laundry tab. I hate it when the laundry tab doesn't work anymore!

I am quite proud of what I have accomplished with my basic and minimal sewing skills. Check one thing off my to do list!

4 comments:

Milena Barrett January 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM  

following you back from the hop.
Thanks for stopping by!

I used cloth diapers too with my littl guy!

RaisingGreenRichmondKids January 21, 2011 at 5:42 AM  

Hi, I'm following you from the Friday blog hop. Great blog. Would love a follow back. www.RaisingGreenRichmondKids.com

Unknown January 21, 2011 at 7:05 AM  

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm following you back!

I sure miss my cloth diaper days. Those padded bums toddling through the house...

Marni's Organized Mess February 22, 2011 at 12:17 PM  

This is brilliant!! I should do the same with mine!! I was getting to the point of wanting to toss them! I am your newest follower!


Come over and say hello sometime! Or, come to win of my giveaway's; Rockin' Green Detergent, Baby Bond Nursing Cover (great gift idea too!), or Roundabout Cupcake Sleeves. They all have more than a week with very low entries!

Subscribe by Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

About Me

I am a frugal, cloth diapering, baby wearing, breast feeding, recycling, stay at home mom to three almost four kids. My husband of 11 years is my best friend. I love to cook even though I am not that great at it!

Followers


Powered by Blogger.

Search This Blog